Volunteer At Klehm
Enjoy the Benefits of Volunteering:
Klehm Arboretum strives to create a healthy and happy environment in which volunteers can enjoy their work. Some of the rewards of volunteering at Klehm include:
- Opportunity to meet and develop friendships with others who share your interests.
- Supportive environment in which you can use your skills and experience.
- Flexible scheduling that works with your busy lifestyle.
- An invitation to a special Volunteer Appreciation Event each year.
- Access to exclusive volunteer educational opportunities.
- A free Klehm shirt for 75 hours of service in a calendar year.
- Two free passes for every 25 hours volunteer service.
Current volunteer needs include:
- Assist with various on-going tasks at the arboretum that include garden maintenance, planting, weeding, watering, pruning and special projects as needed. You may also choose to assist with vegetable, flower beds and maintenance of the garden grounds, equipment, and buildings.
- Specific drop-in work days include Tuesday and Saturday mornings, but a tailored schedule can be coordinated with the maintenance staff.
Information Desk Associate
- Staff the Information Desk and serve as a main point of contact for guest services. You will provide comprehensive customer service to guests, promote membership to arboretum visitors, direct visitors to various locations within the Gardens, answer telephone inquiries, and assist with general office tasks.
- Schedule will be determined by volunteer and supervisor, with special high-volume events like Donation Days and Autumn @ the Arboretum requiring additional coverage. You may be asked to help with large special projects as well.
Docent/Klehm Express Driver
- Docents provide walking tours to visitors and must have the stamina to walk for one hour. Successful docents have good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with a wide variety of visitors.
- Klehm Express drivers must have a valid driver’s license and a working knowledge of the arboretum.
- Tours are by appointment only and scheduled at least a week in advance. Your supervisor will contact you as opportunities arise.
- You will also be asked to attend at least two docent trainings per year.
Special Event Volunteer
- Assist with a wide variety of activities at annual special events such as Garden Fair and Woodsong.
- These are one-time commitments, and you will be contacted about each event as it arises. You will have a choice of what activities you participate in, at the discretion of Klehm staff.
- There are also opportunities to work on event committees, which allow you to be part of the planning process and require a commitment of several months.
To become a volunteer:
- Contact our office at 815.965.8146, or
- Complete and email the Volunteer Info Form to [email protected] or print and mail to 2715 S. Main Street Rockford, IL 61102 and we’ll get in touch with you.